Has there been anyone around you that has been unsupportive of your quitting journey?
For me, almost everyone was thrilled to hear that I quit smoking. Heck, I was beyond thrilled that I had finally managed to do it.
Yet, from time to time I would come across someone negative. There was one person who made a comment that still bothers me to this day. “Why would you bother quitting AFTER having kids? What sense does that make?” I could not believe that anybody would have the audacity to ask this question with the chastising tone in their voice… right to my face! I wanted to scream at him, actually that is a lie. I wanted to HIT him. Of course, I could not do that. Instead, I had to suck it up, simply say “it was just the right time for me” and walk away. I still have to see this person (too often for my liking). Every time I do, I still get the urge to yell. But, then I think about the fact that he has a baby on the way himself, and although his wife had the strength to quit, he himself, still smokes.
My timing may not have been the most ideal. And sure, when I think back I wish I had quit the second I found out I was pregnant for the first time. There is nothing I can do to change the past. All I know is that I was finally able to get the courage and set my mind to quitting. Every day when I lay down to go to sleep, I am so thankful to have got through another day smoke-free. Unfortunately there will always be some negative people in your life, some who you will never have to see again, and some you will have to deal with on a regular basis. Either way, do NOT let these negative people control your life, or make you feel down about yourself! Personally, I feel that it is not so much important WHEN you quit, just that you quit!
Now to get on with a list of reasons why it is important to me that I quit smoking, yes, EVEN AFTER HAVING MY CHILDREN!
- CIGARETTES NO LONGER CONTROL MY LIFE
- I DID NOT SMOKE WHILE BREASTFEEDING BOTH KIDS
- THE MONEY I WOULD HAVE SPENT ON CIGARETTES CAN GO TOWARDS SAVING FOR MY DAUGHTER & SON’S EDUCATIONS
- I FEEL BETTER
- MY HEALTH IS IMPROVING
- You will be less likely to develop heart disease, stroke, lung cancer, chronic lung disease, and other smoke-related diseases
- You will have more energy and breathe more easily.
- MY CHILDREN WILL NEVER GROW UP SEEING ME SMOKE
- CONTRIBUTING TO MY CHILDREN’S HEALTH IMPROVING
- MY CHILDREN WILL BE PROUD WHEN THEY GET OLDER
- I CAN TELL MY CHILDREN THE REASONS THEY SHOULD NOT SMOKE AND NOT BE A HYPOCRITE
- MY CLOTHES, HAIR, HOUSE, VEHICLE ALL SMELL BETTER
- SOME OF MY FOODS TASTE BETTER THAN THEY DID BEFORE
- I AM SO PROUD OF MYSELF, MY FAMILY IS PROUD (NEVER COULD I HAVE IMAGINED MY GRANDPARENTS BEING SO PROUD)
- I FIND MYSELF BEING ABLE TO CONCENTRATE ON TASKS BECAUSE I AM NOT WANTING TO GO FOR A SMOKE
- MORE CONFIDENCE… NOT SMELLING LIKE CIGARETTES ALL THE TIME
These reasons are of course not ALL the reasons that I had wanted to quit, or all of the reasons I did quit. They are also not in any specific order, nor any level of importance.
What are some reasons that you quit? Or want to quit?