As my blogging for the Pregnets web site comes to a close, my journey to quit smoking continues.
I am grateful to Pregnets for allowing me to blog for them. In doing so, I have been reminded of my strong periods and of my tactics in quitting, which I will continue to keep in mind along my journey.
A summary of my tactics follows below, in no particular order of effectiveness. They are geared towards my own experiences but can be applied to your own journey.
- Chew gum:
- Whether it is nicotine gum (use as directed – chew, chew, park) or regular sugar free – I enjoy Bubblemint gum, as it reminds me of the nicotine mint-flavoured variety;
- Keeping busy with chewing can also help with anxiety.
- Change your routine and distract yourself:
- Take a different bus or driving route/use a different bus stop if possible;
- Choose different activities for that morning cigarette (read, watch the news/weather);
- Eat a healthy meal or snack in the morning or with your coffee;
- Increase the wait time for your morning cigarette every day – even by a couple minutes helps!
- Find the NRT (Nicotine Replacement Therapies) that’s right for you and talk to your doctor for approval:
- As mentioned above, nicotine gum;
- Nicotine patch;
- E-Cigarette (with/without juice containing nicotine, refillable or disposable);
- Nicotine lozenges;
- Nicotine mist/puffer;
- Find a quitting buddy/support person or subscribe to Pregnets and know you’re not alone!
Have I missed anything? Are there tactics that have or haven’t worked for you?
Feel free to add me on Facebook for additional support or to just connect as friends: https://www.facebook.com/deb.debs.568
Thank you again Pregnets, it’s been a pleasure!